Saturday, January 24, 2009

Helpless!!!

This is how I feel right now. We were told Liam has an ear infection on Thursday, and lately he just seems to be so irritable. He is taking medicine, but it really doesn't seem to be doing much. I think tonight was the breaking point. Over the last few days we have had a really hard time feeding him. He doesn't want to eat anything we give him, except, of course, fruit. We are giving him food that he eats all the time, and he doesn't want it. We are trying new foods since the doctor said he needs to be eating regular food now, and still, he wants nothing to do with it. Basically, anything with any texture, he gags on it and spits it out. I don't know what to do. I don't know if he is getting picky, or if his ears are bothering him so much that he just doesn't want to do anything. Any suggestions??? He has been whining ALL evening, and finally, I just skipped the bath, and put him to bed early. He crashed so hard. In fact, I think he has a leg propped up in the air on a pillow and his arms flung out to either side, and he just fell asleep in that position because he was so tired.

When it comes to the food situation, this kid does NOT eat greens. I have to mix them with cottage cheese and sometimes he still won't eat them. We are trying to mix things up and give him more solid foods, but he just doesn't want to touch them. I steamed some carrots last night, and he wouldn't touch them because they are slimy. I warmed up some ravioli's, heat ate 4, then threw them on the floor. I guess this is going to just take some time, but I am getting so frustrated. When we went to see the doctor, she made me feel that I have to totally change everything we do with him because he is 1 years old. I am trying, but I feel lost on how to do all this the right way. If anyone has any good suggestions on how to get a 1 year old with 2 1/2 teeth to eat more solid foods, your advice is greatly appreciated!

3 comments:

Bridget K. Parker said...

Oh, Christy, I feel for you! Don't stress about the new foods, you're his mom and you will do what is right. When toddlers are introduced to new foods, it takes an average of them seeing it for 7 times before they will eat it. One thing that we did to get greens in them was to make spinach balls (if you want the recipe just shoot me an e-mail and I'll be more than happy to share it with you). For a snack we would use "Pirate Booty", it's a puffed corn snack with powdered kale, spinach, etc. on it. I also make "kale chips" with fresh kale that I take off of the stem, sprinkle with olive oil & sea salt and pop under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp it up. The boys eat them as chips, and I crumble them into pasta. Broccoli and cheese, or tiny broccoli florets (really super tiny) mixed with mac & cheese was a way that we introduced that particular green to them. I hope these can help you a bit, feel free to send me an e-mail anytime you want advice. bridgetparker@ayrow.com

Cowen Family said...

christy, thank you for stopping by:O)
Don't stress about the food issue. Matthew even to this day would rather drink his calories away then to eat food. He cannot stand texture. Dispises applesauce, oatmeal, etc. I do not believe in being a short order cook. I always gave him what we were eating and the utensils. Sure he cannot use them yet but being aquainted with them is good. Plus it makes mealtime interesting to them. Maybe he would try using a spoon to dip it in things and then taste it...Are you using more baby food with him? I am not sure about what the doctor was meaning about having to change his food routine. Sorry, just curious. The rule of thumb that I was always told is that kids will eat when they are hungry and if he really is not hungry, don't sweat it. He will eat eventually. At Trader Joes they sell Snapea Crisps. They are around the registers and in the dried foods section. Baked Snapeas and they are pretty good. Kids and us like them. Kind of like a cheese puff but are a pea. Check out Krista's blog and my comment to her with other ideas. Sorry this is so scattered. I am in this one with you:)

Gabe and Jen said...

Hey Christy!
Here is an at home remedy for an ear infection...worked great on my kiddos!
Take a baby food jar, clean it out really well. Cut up 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and put it in the jar. Fill the rest of the jar up with olive oil. Let it sit in the fridge. Take just a bit out ( you can use a medicine dropper) and heat it to room temp. Put it into his ear about 3 times a day. You can put a warm rag on his ear afterward for comfort.
I did this on Elijah and after 1 day, his fever was gone, and no more complaining. I continued it one more day just to be sure.
Hope that helps for next time! Might save you a trip to the DR. :)