Monday, February 7, 2011

My Adventures in Cake Making

I started taking a cake decorating class last week with two of my friends. I am so excited for this class, and I am really looking forward to learning new things.




















After our first class, I realized how much time, and money this class is going to require! There is so much that we have to buy in order to make these cakes, but we were able to find a great deal at Michael's on an Ultimate Cake kit that would be good for this class as well as the other 3 classes that Michael's offers. It was $199, but I had a 40% off coupon plus getting 10% off for being in the class. I ended up paying only $108! This is probably one of the best investments I have made in a long time!





















Our first lesson is to make a traditional cake, or a character cake, make the icing and have it partially done when we come to class. This is the first time I have ever made homemade butter cream icing, and it was so easy! There are only 5 ingredients, including water (unless your making chocolate butter cream, in the case, you add cocoa powder).






















































Since I made a Batman cake already this year on my own, I wanted to try something harder for my class. The instructor wants us to challenge ourselves and do a character cake, so I decided to try a football helmet!















I'm not sure of the colors that I am going to use yet, but since our team, the Packers, just won the Superbowl, I just might use their colors!

I am making a French Vanilla Cake with a Chocolate Pudding filling! Our homework was to crumb ice a cake and bring it back to class on Wednesday, along with all our icing colors that we would need.

Here is my completed crumb iced cake (it fell apart on me where the mask is... but I "glued" it back together)





















































And, this is the "finished" product. I ran out of yellow while completing this in class, and if I made another batch, the color wouldn't match anyways. But it's cute, and I like it :) More importantly, it tastes delicious!

No comments: